The following debate topics have been adopted by the National Speech & Debate Association.
Lincoln-Douglas Debate Topics
Lincoln-Douglas Debate – 2022 March/April Topic
Lincoln Douglas debate topics
Resolved: In a democracy, a free press ought to prioritize objectivity over advocacy.
Lincoln-Douglas Debate – Novice Topic
Resolved: Civil disobedience in a democracy is morally justified.
Cross-Examination Debate Topics
Policy Debate – 2021-2022 Topic
Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its protection of water resources in the United States.
Novice Case Limits for the 2021-2022 Policy Debate Topic
- Substantially strengthen federal surveillance and standards for lead in drinking water.
- Substantially limit the use of hydraulic fracturing by energy companies in the United States.
- Substantially strengthen federal standards for agriculture-related runoff into lakes and streams.
- Substantially increase the protection of wetlands in the United States.
Policy Debate – 2022-2023 Topic
Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its security cooperation with the nato/" 1081 rel="nofollow" target="_self">North Atlantic Treaty Organization in one or more of the following areas: artificial intelligence, biotechnology, cybersecurity.
Proposed Novice Case Limits for the 2022-2023 Policy Debate Topic
Artificial Intelligence: Restrict development and/or use of Lethal Autonomous Weapons (LAWs)
- Artificial Intelligence: Increase use of swarming autonomous drones to counter the Russian threat
- Artificial intelligence: Establish a program of regulatory oversight of artificial general intelligence
- Biotechnology: Ban the use of germline genetic engineering in humans
- Biotechnology: Substantially increase funding for vaccine research
- Biotechnology: Establish a cabinet-level National Biodefense Directorate to address Biological threats to humans, animals, agriculture, and the environment
- Cyber: Ban offensive cyber operations
- Cyber: Designate space systems, services, and technology as a critical infrastructure sector
- Cyber: Establish U.S. privacy protections in cyberspace consistent with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation
- Cyber: Increase STEM/computer education programs in U.S. schools
Public Forum Debate Topics
Public Forum Debate – 2022 March Topic Area: Sustainability
Resolved: In the United States, the benefits of increasing organic agriculture outweigh the harms.
Public Forum Debate – 2022 April Topic Area: East Asia
Resolved: Japan should revise Article 9 of its Constitution to develop offensive military capabilities.